A successful SEO campaign includes a Google+ strategy, yet many companies are still not thinking about Google+ as such a crucial aspect for SEO. Your typical social media benefits are obvious—on-site engagement, targeted messages, connections and referrals, etc.—but the benefits in terms of ranking on a SERP are still being ignored. The short explanation is this: If someone you are connected with on Google+ either writes an article or +1s an article, that article is more likely to show up on your specific SERP because a person you trust found that article useful. If you’re a company, you’re going to want to be that search result.
Unfortunately, making it happen is a bit more complicated than it sounds (authorship, personal sharing, +1 buttons, etc.), so creating a Google+ strategy does take a bit of research. Because it’s incredibly important for a business to get started really understanding Google+ and how it can be leveraged for SEO, below is a list of a few resources dedicated to just that.
Google+ Tutorials and Articles Not to Miss
There are quite a few tutorials out there that work great, but is a variety of different types of articles such as videos, slideshows, and your traditional article:
- The Google+ Project. This is one of the most straightforward tutorials out there, and it comes to you right from Google. Great for beginners.
- How to Use Google+ to Grow Your Business in 2013. This video comes to you from Google+ expert Sean Moffett. This is a video I stumbled across that I found incredibly useful. It’s one hour long, but Moffett is so entertaining and enthusiastic that you won’t even notice. If video is how you like to get your information, this one is a winner.
- Why Google+ Was Made for Bloggers. It’s always good to find a post that zeros in on your exact business, and if you’re a blogger this is one of those articles. Direct and focused on blogs taking advantage.
- Complete User Guide: Google Plus Pages for Businesses and Brands. This resource has a good mix of content and video. You will find 8 videos to help get you through every aspect of Google+. Very detailed, so it’s great for someone a little bit more advanced.
- Guide to the New Google Plus Cover Photo Size, Inspiration & Tips. This article is great because it really focuses on all of the new aspects of Google+ and how you can make those work for you. Most of the changes discussed have to do with images and visuals, so it’s unique than many Google+ articles you’ll find out there.
- 30 Tricks, Apps, and Extensions for Google Plus. Again, a unique article that really gives businesses everything they need to help make their Google+ efforts easier. Apps and extensions can get overwhelming, so it’s nice to have it all in one place.
- How to Create a Google+ Event. Always good to know, and Hubspot explains it in very simple terms. Complete with lots of screenshots as well as analysis, you can’t go wrong.
Google+ Experts to Follow
- Sarah Hill. Hill (featured in Moffett’s video discussed above) has over 2 million people who have added her in a Google+ circle. Follow her for expert Google+ advice, particularly on how to use Google+ hangouts to improve your business.
- James Brooks. Brooks is one of the men in charge of GPlusTuts (discussed below). He’s constantly giving Google+ advice on the blog and answering questions from readers.
- Beth Kanter. In over 300,000 Google+ circles, Kanter often posts about Google+. She doesn’t only post about Google+, however, but a wide range of different social and SEO topics.
Websites Devoted to Google+ Info
- GPlusTuts. This is the only website that I have been able to find that focuses strictly on Google+ (although there are many blogs and websites out there that focus on social media including Google+). It is a blog that helps Google+ newbies really understand the network by posting tutorials and other tips, tricks, and opinions about the network.
- Google Plus Tutorials Account. The Social Media Panel has an entire Google+ account dedicated to sharing and promoting content specifically about Google+. I highly recommend putting them in a circle!
Google+ Articles Written By Higher Visibility
Our own writers have been guest blogging like crazy, and many of these guest articles are all about Google+ and its relation to SEO. If you like our style, check these out:
- International Expansion: How to Break Down Barriers with Google+ Hangouts. Published on Search Engine Watch.
- Google+ Ripples Explained. Published on Search Engine Journal.
- Google+ Authorship 101: How to Make It Work for You. Published on Muze Development.
- Still Confused About Google+ Local? What Your Business Needs to Know: Published on Extreme John.
Do you know of any great Google+ resources for those just getting started? Any tips you’ve learned from your own experiences? Let us know your story and your thoughts in the comments below.
Licenciada en Bellas Artes y programadora por pasión. Cuando tengo un rato retoco fotos, edito vídeos y diseño cosas. El resto del tiempo escribo en MA-NO WEB DESIGN END DEVELOPMENT.
When you follow a navigation route on Google Maps, your position is represented by an arrow except on specific occasions such as anniversaries. However, it is possible to change the…
Want to find new WhatsApp groups? Google it. Reporter Jordan Wildon has discovered hundreds of thousands of private groups through the search engine thanks to public invitation links. Not all were…
Let's explain how to prevent people from adding spam to your Google Calendar by adding events and appointments without your approval. This is a practice that has been used for…
Rare earths: here is the 'endgame' threat of China that led to the immediate freezing of the U.S. ban in Huawei
The US move to put Huaweion its so-called Entity List — requiring American companies to obtain a government licence to sell to it — is a pivotal moment for the…
Google recently announced the official launch of a new Google DocsAPI that allows developers to automate many of the tasks typically performed manually by users in the company's online office…
Are you interested in learning more about SEO in 2019? Here are the trends you need to follow to improve your search optimization skills. For those who don’t know about SEO,…
Google Search Console, before known as Webmaster Tools, is a decisive tool created to easily track the performance of your website, but also to improve its visibility and usability. Over…
In this article, we've listed 8 free PHP books that can help you to learn new approaches to solving problems and keep your skill up to date. Practical PHP Testing This book…
If you have just launched a new startup one of the things that should be top of your agenda is creating an effective social media strategy. No sane business owner…
It seems we may have had a Google structured data update yet again . The next thing they changes was to require the Image and priceRange data fields in the LocalBusiness schema requirements. If you run the…
Google has never said that searchers' behavior is a ranking factor. But companies over the years have discussed this, most notably when Amit Singhal told the Wall Street Journal that Google had…