Windows 8.1: 5 Cool New Features
Check out these features and decide for yourself.
1. The Return of the Start Button
The Start menu, these days, is a totally different-looking touch-friendly array of shiny live-updating squares, but you access it by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard rather than a button in the applications bar. For whatever reason, this alarmed people, so Microsoft stuck in a button where the Start button used to be.
It pops up a semi-transparent version of the modern Start menu, over whatever else you were doing. You can also right-click to bring up other options like "shut down."
2. Hands-Free Mode
Microsoft used some of its expertise from the Kinect and made a hands-free mode.
The computer's webcam will do the job of the Kinect. Pretty cool!
3. Search Is Actually Universal
Windows now has a true universal search function, allowing you to search Bing, but also your files, folders, and applications, all in one box.
4. New and Updated Apps
Windows 8 (and 8.1) has apps, just like a tablet or smartphone. These are different from regular applications like Word or iTunes; apps are designed to be used with touch, when your computer is doubling as a tablet. There are a few new ones for this update: a calculator (with scientific and unit converter built-in); Health & Fitness; Reading List and updates for existing apps ranging from some small cosmetic changes to the Maps app to a total visual overhaul for the Music app.
5. 3-D Printer Support
And finally, Microsoft with Windows 8.1 is the first operating system to support desktop 3-D printers. 3-D printers will have a driver and an API, just like a regular 2-D printer so you should be able to hit File -> Print from your 3-D modelling software the same way you would to print from Microsoft Word.
- What is ESC/POS, and how to use it?
- Best Development Posts Of August 2018
- Install macOS High Sierra in VirtualBox on Windows 10
- The Importance of Other People to the Success of Your Website
- Social Media Marketing or SEO?
- Free Christmas 2017 Resources for Designers
- ArangoDB, install and configure the popular Database in ubuntu 16.04
- 3 Top Tips for Picking the Right Web Hosting Service for Your Needs
- What You Need to Start a Great Healthcare Blog
- 8 Best Google Apps You Have No Idea About
- How to Choose a Laptop for Web Design and Development